Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Skewers
with Chimichurri Sauce
Summer 5 Day Detox
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into one-inch chunks
- 6 cremini mushrooms, wiped clean and foot trimmed
- 1 small zucchini or summer squash, cut into one-inch chunks
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and cut into one-inch chunks
- 1 small sweet onion, cut into large chunks
For the chimichurri:
- 1 C lightly packed chopped parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- 1-2 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves pulled from the stem
- 1 small shallot, roughly chopped
- ¾ C olive oil
- 3 TB apple cider or red wine vinegar
- Juice of a lemon
- Thread the chicken pieces onto skewers, brush lightly with olive oil, then season with salt & pepper. Thread the veggies onto different skewers and repeat.
- Heat your grill to medium high heat, and grill the skewers until they are lightly browned and the chicken is cooked through, turning occasionally, about 20 minutes total.
- Meanwhile, make the chimichurri by combining the chimichurri ingredients in a blender. Blend until smooth, then serve as a dipping sauce with the skewers. Store in an airtight glass container for about a week in the fridge.
Note: If you’re using wooden or bamboo skewers, you’ll need to soak them in water for 15 minutes before using in order to keep them from catching fire while on the grill.
Salmon, Arugula and Sweet Potato Salad
2018 Spring 5 Day Detox
- 1 small sweet potato, scrubbed and cut into small chunks
- ⅓ lb wild salmon fillet, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 TB white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 TB olive oil, divided
- ¼ C finely chopped chives (optional)
- 10 oz arugula, washed
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and toss with 1 TB olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, then roast for 10 minutes, tossing occasionally.
- After 10 minutes, toss the sweet potatoes again and move to the side of the baking sheet. Place salmon on the other side and roast for 8-10 minutes, until salmon flakes easily. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place vinegar, Dijon mustard and remaining oil in a small bowl and whisk together. Season with sea salt and pepper. Place arugula in bowl and toss to coat with the dressing.
- Top with salmon and sweet potatoes, then serve.
Coconut Yam Soup
2018 Winter 5 Day Detox
Makes enough for 3 lunches
• 2 large or 3 small garnet yams, peeled and cut into chunks
• 1 small yellow onion, diced
• 5 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
• 2 C vegetable or chicken broth
• 1 (14-oz) can full-fat coconut milk
• 1 TB wheat-free tamari
• 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place yams or sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until soft, about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium high heat and sauté garlic and onions in olive oil until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Place all ingredients in a large blender and turn on low. Gradually blend until smooth, adding water by the TB if you need more liquid.
- To reheat, place in pot and warm slowly over medium-low heat, stirring until warmed through.
Note: It’s very important to place a towel between the blender and the lid if the sweet potatoes are still hot to prevent the lid blowing off when blending. Heat expands in blenders and can create so much pressure that the lid can come off and spray hot soup all over you and your kitchen.